Extending the Duration of Concealed Pistol Licenses.
Under current Washington law, a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) is good for 5 years. This bill, if passed, would created a new section within RCW 9.41.070 which would permit a licensee to extend the duration of their CPL by showing that they have completed a "recognized firearm safety course." This course, must a minimum cover:
1. Basic firearm safety.
2. Firearms and children including safe storage.
3. Firearms and suicide prevention.
4. Secure storage to prevent unauthorized access.
5. Safe handling of firearms.
6. Federal and state laws regarding firearms transfers.
Once again, you will notice that these 6 requirements are the same as those mandated by Initiative 1639. You should also notice that the requirements of self-defense laws and conflict management are not included in this law. The concern here should be that once the law is established, what prevents government from placing further restrictions on the license?